Location & Features
Just 1 block from the UNC Medical Campus, you will find this wonderfully-updated Colonial in the Cameron-McCauley Historic District. This home is full of classic charm and features a Dale Dixon designed modern addition done in 2012. The spacious kitchen offers cherry cabinetry, quartz counter tops and stainless appliances. A large island & breakfast room with built-ins are great for family time or entertaining. The original living room has a vintage fireplace with custom wood mantle, built-ins & an attached sunroom overlooking the garden. The addition features a large bright dining room and screened porch on the main level, and an upstairs master suite with terrific wooded views & a spa-inspired tile bath with oversized shower & soaking tub. On the lower level, the 5th bedroom and full bath offer the versatility as a bright home office or nanny residence. Wood shake shingles and shutters give this home lots of curb appeal. Inside, vintage character of crown molding, flowing hardwoods up and down, and a beautiful staircase bring us back to a bygone era. There is no shortage of storage in the unfinished areas (attic and basement) of this historic home.
The exterior of this gorgeous home features terraced gardens, classic Chapel Hill stone walls, and brick paver and pebble walkways. Wood shake shingles and shutters give it lots of curb appeal. The corner lot has a fenced back yard with room for play, garden, and more.
A Bit of History & UNC Tradition
The land under this house was formerly owned by Howard Odum (of the Odum Institute), distinguished Sociology professor at UNC in the 1920 and 1930s. The land passed through the hands of L.M. and Evelyn Brooks, also Sociologists at UNC before being purchased by John M. Foushee and his wife, Ola Mae in 1935. John Foushee served as Mayor of Chapel Hill from 1933 to 1942. The Foushee’s are believed to have built the house around 1938 but oddly, donated/sold the home shortly thereafter to the University in 1942 for $100. UNC held the property for 57 years and used it to house faculty and other tenants. Previous owners & UNC faculty, Scott and Thelma Stroup, purchased the home in 1999 and remodeled the main part of the house. The current owners, also both UNC Medical faculty, purchased the home in 2009, and hired McLean Building Co. to construct a 3-story addition designed by local architect Dale Dixon in 2012 to accommodate their growing family.
View 44 Photos
Swipe 44 Photos